Yavoriv is not only a small dot on the map of Ukraine but the region spreading over1548 km² and exceeding the territory of such small European countries like Monaco (1.95 km²), Liechtenstein (160 km²), Malta (315.6 km²) and San Marino (61.19 km²). Yavoriv district occupies 7.1% of the territory of Lviv region and is the second due to its area (after Sokal district). (Reference book, Lviv-2007).
The name of our land dates back to the time when there were noisy thick sycamore forests. According to a popular belief, sycamore is a noble tree which makes the soul and thoughts better and protects against dark forces. Since ancient times, our ancestors have made cradles, toys of this wood and a sycamore gate was said to purify insincere intentions of the guest who stepped the yard. Yavorivshchyna – is an ancient historical land and on its territory European trade routes were crossing. It’s the land which at the beginning of the second millennium was a boundary between Kyiv and Davnopolsk states and later it became a lure in the hands of foreign invaders. According to the historical time the land had different names: Yavorivshchyna, Yavoriv starostvo, Yavoriv povit and Yavoriv district. Yavoriv district was created on December 4, 1939, but as the result of the territorial reform the current district boundaries were documented in 1964.
Yavoriv district is located in the north-western part of Lviv region and borders on Lubaczów and Yaroslavl counties on the west, the lands of Lviv on the east, Zhovkva on the north, Mostyska, Horodok, Pustomyty administrative districts on the south. The farthest points of Yavoriv district are the village of Sopit in the north, Lviv in the east, the village of Hlynytsi in the west, the village of Novosilky in the south. In fact, the territory of Yavoriv stretches from west to east for 63 km and from north to south for 43 km and the territorial centre of the district is located on the north western outskirts of the village of Starychi. The main administrative centre of the district is Yavoriv (49º56 north lat., 22º24' east long.), which is located 45 km northwest from the city of Lviv and 18 km from the border on Poland (Topohrafycheskaya map, 2002).
Despite the fact that 25% of the territory of the district is occupied by the military shooting range, Yavorivshchyna is densely populated and therefore it takes the first place among the districts of Lviv region due to its population. (in 2007 there were 122.0 thousand people). Most of the people live in rural areas - 66.7 thousand people, in urban areas - 55.5 thousand. The structure of our district includes 2 towns: ancient historical Yavoriv, which today is home to about 12700 inhabitants and urbanized place of the 60ies – Novoiavorivsk with its population of nearly 30 thousand people (27 683 p.). On the place of historic settlements 4 new towns appeared - Ivano-Frankove (6003 p.) Krakivets (1146 p.), Nemyriv (1900 p.) and Shklo (5446 p.). There are 132 small and large villages on the banks of the rivers, united into 31 village councils. The largest villages are Starychi (3420 p.) Nahachiv (2973 p.) Prylbychi (2362 p.) Nakonechny I and II (2303p.) Birky (2204 p.) Chernyliava (1886 p.) and Riasna-Ruska ( 1814 p.) (Lviv, 2007). Yavorivshchyna is dencely populated district,105 inhabitants live on 1 km² . In Ukraine it is 80 persons for 1 km².
Yavoriv district is located at the crossroads of ancient trade routes between Western and Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Arabia. Modern international highway inherited historical directions of roads and pass through our land today, connecting European states. Trans-European Highway Lisbon-Kyiv runs across Krakivets, Yavoriv, Novoyavorivsk and Ivano-Frankove and it connects the Polish city of Yaroslavl with Lviv.
There is the largest custom house "Krakovets-Korchova" on the western border of Ukraine in the village Krakivets. Regional roads connect Yavoriv district with neighbouring regions. Besides there is the railway which carries goods from Lviv to Yavoriv and carries passengers from Lviv to Starychi. Within the area there is a well developed network of roads which connect villages with the district centre and Lviv. Yavoriv district has well-established economic ties with neighbouring areas, the regional centre and Poland.
Our land is on the border of the natural areas of the Carpathians, Polissia and Podillia, in the basins of the Black and Baltic Seas. Most part of the district belongs to the Main European Watershed of Rostochchia, and as a result Yavoriv disrrict is located in the basins of tributaries of the Sian River and the Dniester River. The surface of Yavoriv district includes hills and plains with not fertile soils, covered with mixed forests, meadows and agricultural lands.
For economic characteristics Yavoriv district is characterized as industrial and agricultural area, which has the main wealth of technical sulfur deposits, raw materials for the building industry, natural gas, oil, forests and ponds, and recreational resources In general Yavoriv district can be characterized as a district with a favourable geographical position and a kind of sycamore gate on the western border of Ukraine
Brief History of Yavoriv region.
Yavorivshchyna’s rich history begins in IX-VI century B.C. During that period the territories of modern villages such as Vilshanytsa, Ternovytsa, Vorotsiv were settled by primitive people that belonged to Middle Stone Age, Mezolite. About 70 archeological monuments have been discovered in Yavoriv region.
The town Yavoriv was first mentioned in written documents in 1376, before Polish conquest of Galician lands. It is believed that Yavoriv got its name because of local sycamore forests (Yavir - a sycamore tree in Ukr). Another version is – that it was named after Prince Yavir, who was mentioned in KyivRus chronicles of XIII-XIV century.
With time Krakivets, Nemyriv and Yaniv appeared on the territory of the region. Local population suffered from Tatar-Turkish attacks in 1450, 1488, 1512, 1620.
In 1563 Yavoriv starostvo was established and in 1569 the central town Yavoriv received its Magdeburg rights. During the period of its existence Yavorivshchyna was a part of Poland, Hungary, Polish-Lithuanian, Russian Empire, fascist Germany, Soviet Republic that had a great influence on its rich traditions and architecture of the region. King John III Sobieski had his royal residence in Yavoriv where the monetary yard was situated for some period of time. Ambassadors of different countries held negotiations in the town. In 1711 Yavoriv was visited by Petro I and during two weeks he discussed the marriage of Princess Vodfenboytel and Prince Oleksiy with king of Brownshvein.
Yavoriv District as an administrative unit was created on December 4, 1939 and the current borders have been since 1964.
In the 60- ies of the XX century there was a great development of the district when the sulfur deposits were found. The construction of sulfur mine and the town Novoyavorivsk with all modern conveniences began. That caused migration of the great number of specialists to the region from different parts of Ukraine and neighbourhood. In 1991 when Ukraine became independent the main factories of the district as well as Yavoriv State Factory “ Sirka”stopped their functioning and it caused the poverty of population and turned Yavorivshchyna into economically depressive territory.
Economical development of the region started with the creation of Special Economical Zone “Yavoriv” and the opening of the custom house between Ukraine and Poland “Krakovets” in 1996.